Sunday, December 14, 2008

Everything Suddenly Honks

It is the afternoon, the week has recently Decembered. I am praying for a sea of yellow cabs to burst through the skywall of the city and flow onto Broad Street. Suddenly, it happens! They begin falling. First slowly, and then a downpour. No one knows what to do. Cyclists and old ladies and bums everywhere are getting squashed under the great weight of a million falling cabs. The pigeons all fly off in a grand flutter of moldy grey feathers. The squirrels move in closer to investigate the sprawling and continuous wreckage. They think that the cabs are going to feed them. I look around, wondering what happened. I had only wanted a little excitement. A little bit of New York buzz to get the blood pumping in my veins. Instead now the city is peppered with yellow piles of metal and everyone is terrified and I never knew the capacity of my own desires.

No comments: